Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Do you consider America a Christian nation?

Separation of religion and state

Posted by BJake on 2008-08-01 22:25:48

what can I say.

I bow to pete's majestic flow - while rolling on the floor

Posted by totoro on 2008-08-01 23:57:48

That WAS about the funniest post I've read in a while!

Posted by blabber on 2008-08-25 22:49:05

Open your eyes! Yes, the U.S. has a christian majority. American University is about 75% women. Does that make it a girl's school? The U.S. has many christians, but it also has Jews, Muslims (no rude comments please), hindus, sikhs, bahai, athiests, and agnostics, among others. People have different political beliefs, but o mastter what, if this doesn't get sorted out, it will remain an Obama-Nation (figure out the lame pun for yourself). Also, KEEP RELIGION OUT OF MY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by proud confederate on 2008-09-03 16:21:47

Just as God,per se,is never explicitly mentioned in the Constitution,neither is the phrase'separation of church and state.The Establishment Clause was designed to protect the church from the state,not the state from the church.America was,and to some extent is,a Christian nation.The majority of her citizenry are Christian.The core principle upon which the nation was founded have thier genesis in Judeo-Christian philosophy.The innate value of an individual human life;The idea of helping the least of these amongst us,freewill-the bastion of liberty,and so much more are birthed in that tradition.Nobody wants any chuch to control the government.We are facing, however,the encroachment of the state onto the church.The advent of "hate speech" laws,the mandatory teaching,at taxpayer expense,of anti-Christian concepts in government schools,etc.,should give pause to those who love liberty.

Posted by DDH52 on 2008-09-03 17:11:01

Nonsense.

The christian right is incessantly pursuing insertion of religion in schools and government by trying to teach creationism or its dressed up version, Intelligent Design, and make abortion, gay unions, stem cell research, etc illegal. The whole republican party has been hijacked by the christian right for these objectives.

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison wrote the Establisment Clause and they did indeed intend separation of church and state as exactly stated in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists in clarification of the intent of the 1st amendment.

The founding fathers were mostly deists, as were the 1st 6 presidents. NOT Judeo-Christian followers.