Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Biblical Accuracy

Don't Just Take Something & Run With It

Posted by NotOfThisWorld on 2002-09-14 19:53:15

Right off the bat, I knew this poll was questionable when I saw a link to “skeptics annotated Bible”.

After I witnessed someone referring to that same link in an AOL chat room, I decided to check it out myself. Upon spotting several alleged “errors” that actually aren’t, I composed what I call an “acid test” for websites skeptical of the Bible. I look for the following “errors” and if they are listed on the website as errors, I know immediately the author of the website has not put in any substantial effort to research the “errors” and immediately, the entire website is in question and bogus.

Point #1 1Kings 7:23-26 (Pi = 3.0???)

1Kgs. 7:23-26 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about. (24) And under the brim of it round about there were knops compassing it, ten in a cubit, compassing the sea round about: the knops were cast in two rows, when it was cast. (25) It stood upon twelve oxen, three looking toward the north, and three looking toward the west, and three looking toward the south, and three looking toward the east: and the sea was set above upon them, and all their hinder parts were inward. (26) And it was an hand breadth thick, and the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies: it contained two thousand baths.

Here is a very good example of taking something and running with it. They read the first sentence (23) to form their conclusion of an “error”. If a bowl was ten cubits from brim to brim and 30 cubits round about, obviously pi = 3.0 in the Bible? Right? Wrong. Here’s why: In their haste to find an error in the Bible, they completely overlook (maybe even purposely overlook) a dimension found in 1Kings 7:26. The thickness “was an hand breadth”. With all of these dimensions, we can now compose a formula for the brass bowl:

30(cubits)/pi + 2(hand breadths) = 10(cubits)

Solve for cubits, hand breadths, or even pi. If you do, you will find out that the Bible does not have the value of pi as 3.0. I substituted my own measurements and solved for pi and came out with a number extremely close to 3.141.

Substitute in your own values and check it out for yourself. (A cubit is the length from the tip of your finger to your elbow, and a hand breadth is the measurement of the widest part of your hand when it is flat on a table). For an example, see http://members.aol.com/gillslits

Point # 2 Flat earth in Daniel 4

You would think if there was a tree that everyone could see (Dan. 4:20), the only explanation would be that the earth is flat, right? Wrong. Again in this case, they conveniently leave out the text starting in Daniel 4:26. If we continue to read past Daniel 4:20, we discover that the "tree" is figurative language for King Nebuchadnezzar. All could "see" him (knew of him). Again, this is an obvious case of someone taking something and running with it, before they finish reading, or finish evaluating what they read.

Point # 3 King Solmon’s horses (1Kings 4:26 vs. 2Chr. 9:25)

1Kgs. 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2Chr. 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

If you briefly read over these two verses, it looks like a huge contradiction, right? Wrong again! Read very carefully. In 1Kings 4:26 we read "forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots" vs. 2Chronicles 9:25 "four thousand stalls for horses and chariots". See it yet? I'll give you a hint: There were ten horses per chariot. In one passage, it refers to the number of stalls for each horse (forty thousand) and in another passage it refers to the number of stalls for horses AND chariots.

I use these three points because all of them are found on the skeptics annotated Bible website and they are all listed as “errors” in the Bible. If anyone honestly looks at these alleged “errors” and evaluates them after I have explained the little tricks they use, one would have to honestly say these actually are not errors. These errors are actually operator error: reader failed to evaluate or comprehend the full text. It’s not a problem with the Bible, it’s a problem with the reader.

If I find ANY of those scriptures listed on any website as “errors” I immediately know the website is bogus and not to be trusted, nor worth the valuable time wasted reading the contents. It is a waste of time because I emailed the author of the website (mailto:wellstep@turbonet.com) about these very scriptures and surprise! As of September 14, 2002 I have yet to have a response from the author and these so called “errors” are STILL listed on this website. Very suspicious, to say the least. Instead of an honest discussion, an obvious motive clouds any needed evaluation.

Here is the take-home point: In someone's haste to find alleged errors in the Bible, a website is put together, boasting several “errors” in the Bible. Other people who are just as hasty to draw conclusions read this and believe they have only strengthened their case against the Bible. Other honest readers will actually research the allegations and take them apart one by one, and conclude the “errors” aren’t actually errors at all.

In regards to this particular poll, one is required to use tunnel vision. Only two options are given, implying there aren’t other relevant scripture, or passages are ripped out of relevant context.

Don’t just take something and run with it. Examine it carefully first lest ye make the same mistake the “skeptics annotated Bible” did. For every “error” there is an honest explanation and there hasn’t been anything weighty enough that would warrant discounting the entire Bible.