Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Biblical Accuracy

Who has the most to lose?

Posted by jer on 2001-11-19 18:16:40

I'm not going to debate about who is right or wrong, I just want to pose the question, "Who has the most to lose?"

Suppose there is no heaven or hell and after you die it is all over. This being the scenario, no one loses anything. The atheist is correct and everything is over for each person as they die.

Suppose reincarnation is truth. Most Christians that I know are moral, upstanding citizens in their community and sincerely desire more spiritual knowledge. They may not be promoted on the reincarnation ladder but would most likely return as a human given another chance to improve on their philosophies and contributions to mankind and the spirit world.

Suppose Heaven and Hell are a reality. The destination of each person desiring entrance into heaven now depends on which religion is correct on earth (faith alone, faith and works, works alone). So maybe most Catholics will enter heaven and not all Protestants, or most Protestants and not all Catholics, or some other assortment of people.

Evaluate the above three circumstances. As an unbeliever, you will 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be condemned to hell

As a person who has put their faith in the wrong things you will, 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be condemned to hell

As a believer who has trusted in the right things you will, 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be accepted into heaven

Looks to me like the best odds are for the people who trust in something and are working to better themselves spiritually. Aethists better be right or they are all in trouble.

Posted by john straton on 2001-11-27 21:40:57

You are thinking about it the wrong way round. What if it is Gods desire for people to have free will? Is it not just a vain god that would have everyone believe in him and do his ways? Why is it not then a possibility for everyone to go to heaven, even if they spend their whole lives renouncing God. If someone in the street told you that you should kill yourself, would you? What then would you do if you saw an angel who told you to kill yourself? Or you saw some kind of message you believed was from God with the same outcome? If there is a God, that is all powerful, why give freedom of choice? Why give any others who have powers that could remotely compete with him, ie the devil! Why then is it not possible that there is someone more powerful than God? If that then is the case, you are worshiping the wrong god, and are therefor damned to go to hell. What if God decided in his great wisdom that that anyone who wastes their time worshipping him should be damned to hell and those wise enough to spend their time more constructively should be praised and go to heaven, how would we know? You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't! Who cares? Christians! Personally - solipsism rules!

========== In Reply To ========== I'm not going to debate about who is right or wrong, I just want to pose the question, "Who has the most to lose?"

Suppose there is no heaven or hell and after you die it is all over. This being the scenario, no one loses anything. The atheist is correct and everything is over for each person as they die.

Suppose reincarnation is truth. Most Christians that I know are moral, upstanding citizens in their community and sincerely desire more spiritual knowledge. They may not be promoted on the reincarnation ladder but would most likely return as a human given another chance to improve on their philosophies and contributions to mankind and the spirit world.

Suppose Heaven and Hell are a reality. The destination of each person desiring entrance into heaven now depends on which religion is correct on earth (faith alone, faith and works, works alone). So maybe most Catholics will enter heaven and not all Protestants, or most Protestants and not all Catholics, or some other assortment of people.

Evaluate the above three circumstances. As an unbeliever, you will 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be condemned to hell

As a person who has put their faith in the wrong things you will, 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be condemned to hell

As a believer who has trusted in the right things you will, 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be accepted into heaven

Looks to me like the best odds are for the people who trust in something and are working to better themselves spiritually. Aethists better be right or they are all in trouble.

Posted by Golan on 2001-12-24 01:21:57

We have free will so we aren't zombies. God wants us to chose to worship him or not. It is possible for everyone to go to heaven--even the Devil. Remember, he already was in Heaven once. Henceforth, God gave Satan control of the world to test our faith. Do we truly love him, or do we just fear his power? Giving Satan control over the world tests that question. And if God decided those who worshiped him should go to Hell? I don't think he will. He's all-powerful, so he does have that power. He, however, is not evil. Not to mention, God is a bit too smart to make a dumb choice like that. Would you condem anyone to Hell if they worshiped you? I don't think so. I don't think God woulda gave his son if he planned on that option.
========== In Reply To ========== You are thinking about it the wrong way round. What if it is Gods desire for people to have free will? Is it not just a vain god that would have everyone believe in him and do his ways? Why is it not then a possibility for everyone to go to heaven, even if they spend their whole lives renouncing God. If someone in the street told you that you should kill yourself, would you? What then would you do if you saw an angel who told you to kill yourself? Or you saw some kind of message you believed was from God with the same outcome? If there is a God, that is all powerful, why give freedom of choice? Why give any others who have powers that could remotely compete with him, ie the devil! Why then is it not possible that there is someone more powerful than God? If that then is the case, you are worshiping the wrong god, and are therefor damned to go to hell. What if God decided in his great wisdom that that anyone who wastes their time worshipping him should be damned to hell and those wise enough to spend their time more constructively should be praised and go to heaven, how would we know? You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't! Who cares? Christians! Personally - solipsism rules!

Posted by NakedCelt on 2002-11-26 11:00:32

========== In Reply To ========== Evaluate the above three circumstances. As an unbeliever, you will 1. die, and it's all over, 2. be reincarnated to do better 3. be condemned to hell

You missed some possibilities: as an atheist you will 4. be accepted into heaven; as a person who has put their faith in the wrong things you will 4. be accepted into heaven; as a believer who has trusted in the right things you will 4. be condemned to hell.

These alternative possibilities look unlikely; but this impression is reliable if, and only if, God's wishes are similar to what a human's would be in this matter. Which, a priori, we cannot know. The Bible tells us that God created man in his image - but the Bible falls under suspicion too. It's not impossible, logically speaking, that God would be a sadistic liar; it's just very, very undesirable. Since we know nothing at all, a priori, about the likelihood of each possibility, any possible proposition you could make regarding our after-death experience is exactly balanced by the opposite proposition. The possibilities cancel out, and Pascal (who you naughtily forgot to credit as the originator of this idea) is left none the wiser.

Posted by Muffindude27 on 2006-03-24 20:47:42

Proving You Wrong

Are you ready? I'm about to show you all the answers to the quetions you asked in this poll.

1. This one is a simple misinterperation. Most bibles say four thousand for each. Only some manuscripts such as the Septuagint say forty thousand

2. 2 Kings 24:8 says nothing about baths.

3. If you read the whole verse it says do not answer a fool according to his folly because you will be like him yourself. 26:5 says if you do answer a fool by his folly he will be wise in his own eyes. You misinterperated it.

4. Again some manuscripts say different ages. My bible says the same thing.

5. Exodus 32:14 says the lord relented, not repented.

6. Again some manuscripts and bibles says different things. Mine says he was 22 years old in both verses.

7. The war in heaven is the final battle between good and evil. And later God makes a new heaven and earth in Revelation 21.

8. All who sin fall short to the glory of God.

9. John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one that loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my father, and i too will love him and show myself to him."

10. Thats the reason Jacob is thanking God in Genises 32:30. Because God mercifully spared his life.

11. It rained for 40 days. The waters began to drop in a 150 days.

12. No, you use the bible to teach them the punishment of immorality

13. I',m going to beileve what the Creator says about these things over what man says.

14. He says there are 29 towns AND their villages. So there are only 29 towns. All the rest are villages

15. Moses is the author of the book except for the last chapter, which must of been written by Joshua.