Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Seat belt choice

Freedom of choice

Posted by Argon18 on 2009-09-24 10:59:33

I hardly ever wear my seat belt. I don't consider it a bad habit because I purposely and consciously choose not to fasten up. It's how I most comfortably drive, despite its risks.

Granted there may be times where I might be better off with one on, the pendulum does swing both ways. I am well aware of the risks but I'm convinced it's the best way for me, and will be the last one to ever force anyone to buckle their belts against their will.

Posted by ridefree on 2009-09-24 20:33:23

Yes, I too am a firm believer in freedom of choice for all adults when it comes to seat belt wearing. The individual should have the right to make this choice for themselves and not have it imposed on them by government. Choosing the no seat belt option is a lifestyle choice which is quite separate from good driving versus bad driving.

Posted by Mr. Style on 2009-09-27 21:29:50

The reason the seatbelt law exsist is because of the insurance companys dont' want to pay out big $$$ on accident claims. If it was for other reasons it would be a federal law.

Did you know that New Jersery says its against their constituation to make people wear seat belts?

All a person has to do is start a petition at the local state level to stop the law. Yes, it will be hard to the lobbyist for the insurance compaines will fight tooth and nail to stop it! Can we say greed?

I don't care for the law but I drive a newer Volvo will a ton air bags that could hurt a person if gotten into a major accident. But the odds are in the favor that you won't get in major accident.

I have been driving a semi-truck for about 15 yrs and have came to believe that the number 1 safetly device is the "driver". You have the only full control of your own safe well being!

Posted by Rico Suave on 2009-09-30 22:27:35

One state in the Union does not require any safety belt buckling at all. New Hamphsire does not accept federal highway dollars.

Posted by alogeagle on 2009-10-26 21:54:38

I wear a seat belt because i prefer not to go flying through the windshield or being crushed by the airbag.