Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Mac n Cheese

Say Cheese !

Posted by U S A on 2011-01-14 16:42:51

Home baked is the only way to fly.

Our cook is a genius.

Posted by Handlebar on 2011-04-21 15:47:28

Yes, Home baked is the ONLY way. I don't "make" Mac & Cheese I "Build" it. At least 3 or 4 different cheeses. Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, a little Swiss (be careful with Swiss, it makes it really stringy but the added flavor is great), and often shake in the grated version of Parmesan/Romano/Asiago that I buy for spaghetti and such. The sauce is a thick white sauce, maybe a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (condensed) added and then seasoned with my favorite savory herbs such as sage, thyme and others, some salt (not much as the cheese has salt) and maybe a very little pepper. The true culinary officianados will tell you it should be white pepper but I know what the little black specs are and they don't bother me. I always save out a couple handfuls of the cheese mixture to sprinkle on top about 15 minutes into baking and let it bubble & brown up. One of the ultimate "Feel Good" foods. Sometimes experimenting with added meats or veggies but have come to the conclusion that anything like that is better on the side as a condiment rather than baked in. Enjoy!!!!