Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Pledge of Allegiance

Pledge is fine

Posted by Jayfj on 2003-09-30 23:49:06

I always took the Pledge of Alliegence evey morning at school-- It was fine with me The United States has problems but it is a great country and I, like most other Americans, am verygrateful for all our freedoms. Therfore I beleive if someone does not want to take the Pledge-- that person should have the right not to and not be criticized. I think it is against some people's religion to take it-- they should should be respected for their choice. I enjoyed your poll, but I wish you had not put Catholics in a seperate column from Christians. The Christain religion is generally divided into three groups-- Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox-- I wish you had made those categories the choices for people taking the poll. Thanks

Posted by Lunafae on 2003-10-19 20:33:41

About putting Catholics in a separate column...

Boy are you right!! Of course, it would also be fine to just write "Christian" as a single choice without breaking it down into groups. Catholics know that they are Christian, and will choose that box. It is only a small -- but unfortunately growing -- number of misled (or bigoted) Protestants who seem to be ignorant that Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Even those who disagree with Catholic doctrine should admit that Catholicism is a Chrisitian religion (the largest in the world, I might add).

I am neither Catholic nor Christian but it makes my blood boil when I hear some Protestants talk as if Catholics are not Christian. Aren't these people aware that for about 1500 years after Christ, Catholics and Orthodox were not only Christians but basically the ONLY Christians in the whole world?

PS This is Lunafea's dad writing, not Lunafae. ========== In Reply To ========== [...] I wish you had not put Catholics in a seperate column from Christians. The Christain religion is generally divided into three groups-- Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox-- I wish you had made those categories the choices for people taking the poll.