Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Should corporal punishment be reintroduced in schools?

A Needed Option

Posted by R.J. on 2014-02-09 18:47:18

Growing up in the 1960-1970 era, the paddle was a real option in school. Never knew another student at school who was paddled in abusive manner nor any guys, especially friends & I, that didn't probably deserve the swats we got. Boys seemed to get paddled more often than girls, especially so in middle & high school years. A bigger risk was a note or call home that got your already paddle tanned bottom some additional spanking attention from your parents.

Posted by mc.mbjones on 2014-02-13 01:53:42

I'm a 16 year old boy and agree that their are a lot of kids that need a firm paddle at school and a paddle or belt at home!

Posted by R.J. on 2014-02-15 19:37:54

Hey Mc,

From now outside observation of some schools I know, I must agree with your opinion. Having worked with young offenders over years of my career, I've seen many young people who lacked parental discipline so never developed a good concept of self-discipline & ended up in trouble and ruined the start of a young life.

I've always thought a firm swat, be it hand, paddle or belt, to a youngster's backside, when behavior deserved, was not an abusive act but rather a thoughtful part of their character development. I'd rather see a youngster with a spanked butt, even as an adolescent/teen, that that youngster confined in a juvenile center. I've know single moms who love & sacrifice for their kids, but once age 12+, and especially with boys, are too big for mom to handle and there is no man/dad to step up, as my dad did, to draw the line & enforce it.

May I assume from your message that there was a paddle/belt in your home and a mom/dad who used it with you when necessary? Have there been incidents at school for you, that your young bottom should have been paddled at school?

Posted by flash gordon on 2014-02-15 21:45:33

I think CP is better than drugging kids, the current disciplinary method of choice, especially for boys.

Posted by R.J. on 2014-02-23 02:28:46

I was never a fan of the drug usage as a remedy for behavior discipline. There are both boys & girls with medical problems that may in some cases cause them to act out and yes, under doctor's care, prescribed meds are likely needed.