Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Extended well-child and well teen physicals

Girl 16yo, North America, strange abdominal exam and surgeries

Posted by Aquila on 2022-01-24 11:24:48

Girl, 16yo, North America, Surgical procedures for intestinal inflammation

I am female. It happened in North America, in the period 2010-2014, 16 years old. Parents told me about the exam. I failed to gain weight and they scheduled the exam. My parents drove me to the exam. At a regular hospital. I was the only one as my parents set up the exam. I was taken there via car to our local hospital.

PREPARATIONS

I was not allowed to eat some time before the exam. I got laxatives at home to clean out my stomach the day before the exam. I was given a gown and kept underwear on in the time I stayed awake. They placed me upon an advanced surgical table. I was placed to lay on my back with streight legs. I got IVs tubes into blood vessels in an arm. I got a device on a finger or a toe to measure pulse and oxygen in my blood. I got a blood pressure monitor wrapped around an arm or a leg. I got electrodes on my cheast.

I did not get any anesthesia at first. Later I got anesthesia through tubes into my blood vessels and a breathing tube that provided anesthesia.

I was brought into the operating room and laid down on the table. My gown was open from the front and left in panties with my abdomen and sports bra exposed. One doctor monitored my vitals put on the bp cuff, O2 monitor and electrodes around my sports bra to monitor my heart. He later put me to sleep after the first two procedures.

INITIAL EXAMINATION

They performed an ECG functional test of the heart function with electrodes on my chest and other body areas. They took stomach x-ray pictures. They used electrodes at my chest to record body functions.

I don’t know if you can call these internal examinations per say but I ended up having 3 procedures. First they did a detailed palpation of my abdomen for the first hours. It was 2 doctors one on each side of my belly. They palpated deeply feeling my liver spleen kidneys bladder stomach small and large intestines. They also spent some time examining my navel in detail (an inbetweenie).

After the first hour of examination they brought in a pump and a fourth doctor who controlled the pump They inserted a tube up my backside and started pumping gas inflating my intestines. They slowly inflated them over an hour. First the entire colon and they took a lot of X-rays. Then they surpassed the ileocecal valve and inflated the small intestine. Overall the entire intestinal track was inflated and xrayed and tested.

The first palpation exam was not overly uncomfortable except when they palpated the small intestine around the navel. This made me nauseous and almost throw up. The inflation though was strange and at times painful seeing my small belly blow up and look pregnant was interesting. But there was extreme pain after the ileocecal valve was breached and the whole intestine was filled. Externally the skin of the belly was over stretched to the point where I felt even the bottom of my navel skin stretch painfully and the sides of my navel stretch and turn stiff.

I’ve also never seen my belly sweat. Internally there was also a lot of pressure as the filled colon compressed the ever expanding small intestine and the stomach was squished against the ribs by the transverse colon.

SURGERIES

Finally I was put to sleep and an ileostomy colostomy and nasogastric tube was done.

I don’t remember the surgical part but it was unexpected and painful.

Yes I was only expecting the palpation and inflation but the doctors also did surgery on my intestines after claiming they were not healthy. They decided that they were inflammed and damaged and needed rest and treatment. They put me to sleep and disconnected the small intestine from my colon and created an ileostomy at the ileum before the ileocecal valve and a colostomy by bringing up the sigmoid colon up. The ostomies were placed on the right and left lower belly. A nasogastric tube was also placed down my left nostril down into the lower stomach. I also had a picc for nutrition.

ARRANGEMENT AFTER THE PROCEDURE

They held me inconscious for some hours. I had my underwear on after the exam.

When I woke up I was in the ICU. I was laying flat on my back with my head and neck elevated. I was in my panties and sports bra with a sheet folded down to my hips. Ekg leads, still being monitored, and so was bp. To my surprise I had a nasogastric tube in connected to suction. I also had two ostomies each connected to drain suction. I was told my intestines were being made to rest and they had injected antibiotics, probiotics medications, anti inflammatory Meds and cleansing solutions into my intestines and they were draining as they created a lot of secretions and gas.

They keep an eye on my bowels for the next 7 days as they woke up the first 4 they massaged my abdomen deeply ever 30 minutes to relief the pressure and vent the drains as the buildup of gas was very painful. They also did auscultation every hour to get bowel sounds. After the 5 day the nasogastric tube was removed but the ostomies were kept on suction drainage. I was feed they a picc line this whole time.

FURTHER FOLLOW-UPS

7 days after the nasogastric tube was removed they let me go home with the ostomies which I kept for another 4 weeks.

After that I was taken back in and the ostomies reversed. I was also scheduled for further surgery six months later to fix my navel and was told they would also take my gallbladder and appendix out.

THE SCHOOL I ATTENDED

I attended ordinary daytime school.

It was a normal schools I missed 2 months during these exams where I was homeschooled to keep up. Then missed 2 weeks again when they fixed my navel and took my gallbladder and appendix out.

COMMENTS

The girl surely also had a urinary catheter during and after the surgery, but it may have been removed before let fully wake up and put on bra and panties.

It looks like the doctors did not quite find out what was the problem during the examination and the suregry was, meant to look directly at her abdominal organs and decide treatment. They found the intestines to be seriously inflamed, but it loooks like they did not quite got to a definite diagnosis.

The treatment they eventually did was a cleansing process combined with antiinflammatory medication.

It looks like also her gall bladder was inflamed, so they decided to remove it later on.

Posted by awayness on 2022-01-27 01:56:51

Just for anyone curious, when you get a something-ostomy procedure, what you have is a 'stoma.' the plural is stomata.