Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Are Mormons Christian?

Mormans...

Posted by violinist21 on 2002-07-18 00:49:37

I believe that Mormans were based on christianity, but they added other books to the bible. And it says in the book of Revelations you cannot add more books to it and pass them off as real. So now they have different beliefs and customs.

Posted by PriestValer on 2002-08-25 22:49:55

Quote: I believe that Mormans were based on christianity, but they added other books to the bible.

They didn't add new books to the Bible but have additional books besides the Bible.

Quote: And it says in the book of Revelations you cannot add more books to it and pass them off as real.

1: Revelations was written sometime during the 90's ce. 2: Taken point 1 above, the following books in the Bible would also then be taken from the Bible:

The Gospel according to John (2nd century ce) 1 Timothy (2nd century ce) 2 Timothy (2nd century ce) Titus (2nd century ce) James (2nd century ce) 2 Peter (2nd century ce) 1 John (2nd century ce) 2 John (2nd century ce) 3 John (2nd century ce) Jude (2nd century ce)

In addition, the following also MIGHT have to be deleted:

1 Peter (late 1st/early 2nd cent. ce) Hebrews (late 1st/early 2nd cent. ce) Ephestians (90's ce) Gospel according to Mary (late 1st/early 2nd cent. ce) Infancy Gospel of Thomas (late 1st/early 2nd cent. ce)

And these two MOST LIKELY would be deleted:

Infancy Gospel of James (late 1st/mid 2nd cent. ce) 1 Peter (late 90's/early 2nd century ce)

3: Revelations wasn't accepted by most Christians when the canon was decided. It was only added to appease a few who wrongly thought it was written by the apostle John.

4: Some of Revelations was added at a later time from when written originally. Most likely, the editing was done when the canon was sealed, the fourth century ce. One of these passages is that no other books could be added at the time.

Thusly...

If you accept Revelations, then you must then reject nearly all the rest of the New Testament; canonized or non-canonized.

Quote: So now they have different beliefs and customs.

So do Eastern Orthodoxy followers from Catholics and liberal Protestants from conservative Protestants. All of them are Christian. Why then aren't Mormons?

Hint: Trick question.

Mormons are Christians.

Posted by JDogg on 2002-11-15 05:00:49

Well Said

Posted by Word Man on 2003-02-04 02:55:44

The scripture you're referring to, Revelation 22:18-19, can easily be misconstrude to meaning that any further scripture PERIOD would not be the true word of God, but if you look further into it you will find that according to Bible scholars (1) that this revelation was written sometime between A.D. 64 and 96; (2) that John himself wrote his gospel(The Gospel According to St. John) at a much later dat at Ephesus; (3) that at that time the books of the Bible were not compiled as we now have them. Knowing these things we can understand the John was warning against adding to or taking from the revelation he had received and written while banished on the Isle of Patmos. (From "A Marvelous Work And A Wonder" by Legrand Richards)

========== In Reply To ========== I believe that Mormans were based on christianity, but they added other books to the bible. And it says in the book of Revelations you cannot add more books to it and pass them off as real. So now they have different beliefs and customs.

Posted by alatriel079 on 2003-11-12 03:39:39

hey buddy i like your name violins are cool and yes i also agree.. you know what... i like a mormon and my grandmother knows his grandmother.. poor kid

========== In Reply To ========== I believe that Mormans were based on christianity, but they added other books to the bible. And it says in the book of Revelations you cannot add more books to it and pass them off as real. So now they have different beliefs and customs.