Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Are Mormons Christian?

Book of Mormon contradicts Bible

Posted by Bama_JLD on 2004-08-12 03:26:40
  1. Book of Mormon ("BOM") Talks about the church and believers are called "christians" in a book suposedly written 70BC (Alma 46:15)

Bible - Believers first called "christians" at Antioch, about 41 AD (Acts 11:26) Also at 73 BC, church not yet established. Jesus said in Matt 16:18 "I will build (future) my church".

1. BOM - Jesus predicted to be born in Jerusalem. (Alma 7:10)

Bible - Jesus predicted (Micah 5:2) and was born (Matt 2:1) in Bethlehem.

1. BOM - Melchizedek reigned as a priest under his father. (Alma 13:18)

Bible - His priesthod was "without father". (Hebrews 7:3)

1. BOM - When Christ died, sun was darkened for 3 DAYS. (3 Nephi 8:19, 23)

Bible - Sun was darkened for 3 HOURS. (Luke 23: 44)

Many other examples could be listed.

Posted by SSJ5Cloufiroth on 2007-02-14 18:22:14
  1. Book of Mormon ("BOM") Talks about the church and believers are called "christians" in a book suposedly written 70BC (Alma 46:15): Revelation. Wasn't Christ's name itself even given in various iterations in the Old Testament?

2. BOM - Jesus predicted to be born in Jerusalem. (Alma 7:10) : Bethlehem is adjescent to Jerusalem.

Bible - His priesthod was "without father". (Hebrews 7:3): Lack of context. They are speaking about the Melchizedek priesthood. Are you suggesting that he was literally born without parents?

Bible - Sun was darkened for 3 HOURS. (Luke 23: 44): "Earth" in that passage, refers to a region or country, not "the" Earth. Also consider that it is almost on the other side of the planet-How could one compare the darknesses of the lands as being necessarily the same in cause and duration?

Study of the scriptures will bring knowledge and wisdom that I promise, but you must search for the answers, not excuses to fight what you do not yet understand.