Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

To ensure the BLESSINGS of liberty to us and our prosperitys

Blessings secured by WE THE PEOPLE.

Posted by GoodDogSD on 2002-07-18 16:28:57

(From the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.)

BLESSING: 1. The act of one that blesses. 2. A short prayer said before or after a meal; grace. 3. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon. 4. Approbation; approval: "This plan has my blessing."

I don't see God mentioned here, do you? I am often asked to give "my blessing" to something or other. Sometimes I ask my boss to give his "blessing" to a certain project. Does that make us dieties to be worshiped? Unfortunately, it does not. In fact, the pramble specifically states that the "blessings of liberty" are secured not by God, but by WE, THE PEOPLE.

Yes, you will probably argue that the Declaration of Independence mentions our rights are endowed by the "Creator". However, the Declaration of Independence is just that, a declaration. It carries no force of law in itself. We are governed by the sections, articles and amendments of the actual Constitution. And I challenge you to find God mentioned anywhere in the text of this amazing document.

Although the Founding Fathers were all very devout Christians, in their tremendous wisdom and respect for ALL citizens, they created a nation providing equal freedoms for both those who believe in a God, as well as for those who don't.

So express your true patriotism by setting down your Bible and studying the Constitution. You just may come to appreciate it - and not your Bible - as the foundation upon which this country, despite its many problems, has grown to become the greatest nation the world has ever known.

Posted by trif14 on 2003-05-14 03:25:01

========== In Reply To ========== (From the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.)

Thank you for that lovely history lesson! I think you read a little too much into the poll!

Posted by apricotcreek on 2006-05-17 03:13:05

Tell me sir, what think ye of the Hebrew people and their journey in life over the last five thousand years? I should think your hypothesis will be interesting to say the least.