Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

What Should Women And Girls Wear?

More Rapes in Opressive Cultures

Posted by chucksmom on 2005-04-24 23:51:01

Western culture/open societies have less shame and guilt associated w/reporting and dealing w/rapes.

Eastern Cultures/opressive societies take a lack of reporting as "proof" of "less rapes"-nothing could be further from the truth.

Sex tours in SE Asia? The sky rocketing incidence of HIV in India? Sucicidal teen rape victims in Afghanistan?

Sweeping crime under the rug doesn't make it disappear, it's just like covering it w/a Burqua...

Posted by ladysarah on 2005-04-28 01:53:01

What opressive countries are you speaking about? India has an opressive culture? In countries like India or Japan women have the same rights, they are just more modest and may dress in more feminine wear. I am not talking about messed up countries like the Afganistan. I am talking about democratic Eastern countries like Japan, South Korea, Japan, and India.

Are you saying that wearing less clothes will produce more rapeings? I can't see that!

Posted by Juniper8 on 2005-05-02 02:00:05

I think incidence of rape would depend much more on the level of respect towards women and their rights than what clothes they wear, but I'd expect women in revealing would present more of a target then women in more modest clothes. However, women know what men are going to think when they wear revealing clothes and it is entirely up to them whether they want to give that impression or not. Setting a dress code takes responsibility from women and gives the impression that they aren't capable of making those sorts of decisions themselves, which isn't a good thing at all. Adults have a right to make decisions about their own lives.

Posted by chucksmom on 2005-05-08 03:46:35

India-a country where they still practice bride burning (albeit not willingly on the part of the bride!).

Where HIV positive wives are disowned by their families (when infected by their straying husbands), and left to fend for themselves on the streets...

Where routine "kitchen fires" kill, disfigure, or handicap thousands of women, just for the greed of the grooms family (don't have to return the dowry on damaged "goods")

India's not as bad as some places, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have problems for women!

Posted by ladysarah on 2005-06-07 20:37:24

Bride Burning is very rare as far as I have heard. Only very isolated villages to it. It is I think illegal. And usally the wife has the choice to jump in the fire (it isn't forced).

HIV is result of the massive of unprotected sex that occurs when they have so many kids! They use no protection and HIV is transmitted easier this way.

The dowry system sometimes brings them to suicide I hear. In other cases sometimes the husband is forced to pay a dowry.

When I think of opressive to women I think of Taliban Afganistan. India has more legal rights than most countries, in fact India has even had a women prime minister not too long ago (Sonia Gandhi I think was here name).

Rape in India does not happen that often at all, at least not in the streets (rape might occur more comonly by her husband). If you have also noticed people in the East tend to wear more clothes which is probably why street rape happens less I guess.