Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

The Official Mister Poll Forum

Why do polls not display custom Answers

Posted by sissy.stephanie on 2010-04-04 04:40:33

I just thought it curious that it doesn't. Now, logically speaking, I can see that someone could write just anything in there and it might be appropriate and it is difficult to police, so hiding it from all prevents that. Now, what I don't understand, is why they aren't viewable in an easy format for the poll creator, unless I am missing something. CSV is not very convenient format to see multiple text answers. Thanks. I really like Misterpoll. It's a great site.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2010-04-05 16:05:16

I think you are referring to the "extra info" option for a multiple choice answer, such as "Other: __" ?

It's really more of an interface problem than anything else. The results for a multiple choice question are shown as a summary, with each choice being listed along with the percentage (and number) of votes it received. For the type of choice where people can supply extra info, there could be literally hundreds of distinct answers submitted, depending on how many people vote in your poll. Displaying each of those custom values the same way your standard choices are shown would make for a painfully long and confusing results display.

We might be able to have a "details" link that you could click to open up a scrolling area to browse through them. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them here.

Posted by seattlejames on 2010-04-15 12:36:16

Message section AND other comments

I have two questions... 1. I've noticed that some polls have a message section, but the one I created doesn't. Is that related to something I selected when I created it? I would like to add a message option for people to interact about the poll. Can I? 2. For some of the multiple choice questions on my poll, I asked people to elaborate and provided a space to do that. Is there anywhere that I can see what has been written? I have downloaded the info into Excel, but it still doesn't appear to be there. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help. This is a great site.

Posted by Mister Poll on 2010-04-16 20:40:22

Every poll does get a message area. You don't have to do anything to create it. Just look at your poll or results, and click the "Messages" link near the top.

Downloading the info into Excel should show you the extra info. If there isn't any, then perhaps people are not typing any in. If you can post the link to your poll, I'll check the results directly in the database to be sure.

Posted by seattlejames on 2010-04-18 19:13:48

Thanks for your reponse. Since I wrote this I HAVE been able to find the extra info. I need to look for the messages, again, I guess. Thanks, again, and great site.