Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

DECISIONS TO HELP OR NOT TO HELP- BASED ON HATRED

Umm, one big factor

Posted by steamybaby on 2007-05-08 00:13:55

You seem to be completely skipping over what I suspect is the #1 reason that a bystander would not jump into a fight -- fear and self preservation. If anyone asked me why I choose not to intervene in the situations you are describing, it would have nothing to do with my race, the victim's race or the aggressor's race. It would have everything to do with my estimation of how much danger I'd be putting myself in by attempting to assist the victim. I suspect if you added that to your list of responses, the race issue would play little or no factor for most people.

Posted by Cartwright on 2007-05-11 18:03:28

Yes, in my case it would depend mainly on the perceived risk, which in turn would depend partly on who I was with. If I was with a group of friends who outnumbered the attackers, then I like to think we would probably intervene. Or then again, maybe if I was on my own, if I was confident of being able to distract the attackers in some way so that the victim would have a chance to escape. But if I was with just one other person, I think intervening would be the worst thing I could do, because I'd have no right to drag that other person into danger - and having put them in danger, I couldn't then run away unless they (my friend, brother, girlfriend, etc) could run as fast as me.

I don't think race would be a major factor, although I have a feeling that the situation I'd be least likely to challenge would be where both the victim and the assailants were the same race as each other, but a different race to me - i.e. if it was black on black, Asian on Asian, etc. I can't think of a shred of justification for making this discrimination, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that I would do in a real situation.