Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Wearing slippers in the house

Slippers

Posted by jthomas99 on 2007-12-03 19:28:25

I think its an excellent idea to wear slippers in the house. Wearing shoes in the house is stupid - its uncomfortable, and only serves to bring dirt and mud in. Shoes should be removed and left outside. I never wear shoes indoors.

Posted by mark6962 on 2018-12-14 10:34:51

i agree. easiest way to keep your carpets clean is to change into your slippers at the door

Posted by johnthomas725 on 2018-12-16 10:56:55

Yes, absolutely right Mark. As I've often said on this forum, I never wear shoes in the house, nor will I allow shoes to be worn in my house! It's shoes (and socks too, usually) off at the door, and change into my slippers straight away.

Same rules apply to family and close friends. They either leaves slippers here, or bring them round with them anyway. Other visitors usually just take their shoes off when entering and stay in socks. Some visitors, especially younger ones, like to take socks off too, which I approve of, as floors can be slippy in socked feet.

Some friends and visitors whom weren't slippers-wearers before have commented on what a good idea it is, and have told me they plan to adopt the habit themselves. I think this is excellent. It makes far more sense than ruining the carpets walking around in filthy shoes.

I've always worn slippers in the home, and I always shall. And my carpets stay spotlessly clean as a result.

Posted by mark6962 on 2018-12-24 16:49:30

when visiting do you take your slippers with you to change into

Posted by johnthomas725 on 2019-01-05 18:30:54

Hi Mark, to answer your question - that depends on who I'm visiting, and if it's planned or not. If I'm visiting my parents for example, there is no need, as they keep a pair of slippers there for me to change into when I arrive. It makes life easier that way. If I am planning to visit other family or close friends though, then yes, I usually take my slippers with me, if I'm expecting to stay for longer than a few minutes. It's really no effort, and it makes me feel more comfortable and relaxed. They are all slippers wearers too, so there is really no issue there.

If I'm going to visit someone I don't know so well, then I don't usually take slippers with me (initially anyway) as I don't know what to expect, though I will always offer to remove my shoes when entering, and will respect whatever domestic habits the homeowner adopts. Though if I'm told to "keep my shoes on" I always feel very uncomfortable and fidgety, unless the floor really is meant for footwear (i.e. some sort of industrial flooring such as ceramic tiles), though even then it seems strange to me. So much nicer to have thick, warm carpets underfoot, and lovely warm slippers - especially this time of the year when it's very cold outside!