Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

The Great School Shoe Debate

Better off in socks

Posted by GarethM-UK on 2008-04-08 19:26:25

We have to wear a uniform at my school and this includes smart leather shoes. However, many students idly kick their shoes off in the classroom and let their feet relax in socks. I do it all the time, as it's way more comfortable than having to wear shoes all day. We don't get into any trouble for it, although sometimes if we are seen walking about the classroom in socks, then some teachers tell us to put shoes back on.

But I think more teachers are realising that young people learn better when they are comfortable so don't care about us staying in socks during lessons. If I had my way, we'd take shoes off in the morning and leave them in the hall with jackets and coats, like they do in scandinavian schools

Posted by jaymeister on 2017-03-28 18:34:09

There was a recent study that showed that students learn better without shoes. Data was taken from 25 countries

Posted by atheistkid on 2022-12-27 22:10:01

The school I teach in has a requirement similar to the one you suggest. Students have to leave their shoes in their locker so as not to wear out the carpets in classrooms. Most students just wear flip-flops to school and spend the day barefoot.

Posted by hunterfry on 2023-03-12 00:49:10

My school doesn't have a requirement on footwear, except for PE, so I like to come to school barefoot.

Posted by Cornix on 2023-03-26 14:11:45

Same. There weren't rules for shoes in school just for PE