Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Armwrestling Mother vs. her 10 to 15 year old son

technique

Posted by dr_kearn on 2004-01-02 20:48:36

I've read a from a few polls on here about people who have injured themselves in arm wrestling contests so i'm just wondering if everyone is using the correct technique.

First basic, when you lock up your thumb should wrap around your opponents whilst your fingers lay on the back of their hand.

I think i should also dispel a myth. A lot of people are surprised when they see someone with larger arms beaten by someone smaller. Sorry, but its not the muscles in your arms you should be using, its the ones in your shoulders.

Once the match is in progress it is important that you try and position your body behind your arm at all times so that you are always pushing rather than pulling against your opponent. To illustrate why i'm going to use the most extreme case in an arm wrestling match. When a contest is drawing near its end, its very common to see someone become desperate and shift their whole body to the other side of the table. This is an extremely bad idea, as now you are pulling against not only your opponents weight but also against YOUR OWN leading to a great increase in muscle tension which could result in tearing of the fibres.

So remember always push, never pull. This info may not help you win any contests but you'll be a lot safer.

Also some advice to guys, if you must arm wrestle girl make sure she doesn't have long fingernails. One time when i was 17 i had an arm wrestle match against a girl who had long fingernails and they were digging into the back of my hand. I complained, she told me to stop whining. As the match went on she squeezed her hand tighter and her nails dug in deeper. I very nearly screamed. Eventually, I won the match but the back of my hand was bleeding. So on that particular day i won the battle but i'd almost certainly lost the war.