Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Prison Rights in the US

A Most Peculiar Poll

Posted by Justin on 2002-05-10 20:06:57

A most fascinating poll, may I say. I've never once heard or even thought of giving prisoners rights. They violated the laws of the nations, so their rights should be suspended for the appropriate amount of time. Not too short, not too long. How could anyone want a thief still in prison to have rights? I don't understand that.

Posted by dh0202 on 2002-07-07 03:08:37

Oh, come on.

A prisoner cannot have zero rights. This would mean that they could kill or rape him with impunity. Og course, a prisoner cannot have full rights, either. If he did, he'd be free to leave.
Posted by fdostoevski on 2013-10-09 10:10:46

I don't understand the USA's attitude towards crime and punishment. For one thing, many, perhaps most of their inmates are mentally ill. People don't want to pay to treat mental illness so instead they pay to punish them. Unfortunately its not very effective. Prisoners are always human and deserve basic human rights. Prisoners rights should only be limited to such an extent as to protect public safety and the safety of other inmates. Mental ill criminals should receive psychiatric treatment. The courts need to do a good job at discerning real criminals from mental cases.