Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Siblings of Individuals with Disabilities

My sister has autism

Posted by Michelle AKers on 2002-06-02 03:02:27

My sister is 21 and has autism. It is hard. I do not know what to do. She is in a home and my mom expects that I will care for her!! I can;t I have kids of my own. Is this bad? I feel very guilty!! Please Help.

Posted by the dude in the chair on 2006-02-05 09:18:30

hi im Eric and i am in a wheelchair. as a younger boy (im now 12) i needed just a tiny bit of help but i always would have someone there. my suggestion is to switch off with some one to take care of her. so maybe you could be there one day, and your husband, your mom or dad, or any other family member able to help would be there another day. this way you get to be with your kids and your sister gets the help she needs.I hope this helps you and if you try it out i bet it will.

Posted by andrewpk on 2024-02-19 06:05:28

It's understandable to feel overwhelmed, but you're not alone. Consider exploring support services for intellectual disability, like community habilitation at Gateway Counseling Center. This program offers personalized support to individuals with disabilities, alleviating some of the caregiving burden. Check more about support services for intellectual disability at https://www.gccnyc.org/community-habilitation. Remember, seeking support doesn't make you a bad sibling; it makes you proactive in finding the best care for your sister while balancing your own family needs.