Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Cloning Ethics

Cloning

Posted by TheNewOvermind A.K.A. Justin on 2002-12-29 03:15:32

Hmmmm.......not sure here.

I am religious but I am unsure about cloning--note that I am not against it.

I think that God blessed humanity with Science, and that we should use it to make our lives easier.

Cloning can do a great job of making our lives easier. We can genetically modify ourselves to become more immune to certain diseases. Perhaps if we can't find a cure for cancer, we can genetically alter ourselves to become more resistant, or even immune, to cancer. I personally do not see why God would not want us to do that.

With genetic engineering, we can help cure world hunger. However, we would also need to get the poor countries' governments to actually let those hungry kids get the food--not charge the food we gave them as charity so much that only the rich people can get it (thus making the hungry people still starve, despite the fact we gave'em some food). We could also genetically engineer all the "fatty and unhealthy" foods to become nutritious. I don't see why God wouldn't want us to do that, either.

Of course, there are risks involved, just like if you were driving a car. We could screw something up in our genetic code to make ourselves actually more vulnerable to a disease, or worse. We could make foods even less healthier.

It's a this-or-that situation. We can either take a gamble at fixing things in our lives, with the good outcome meaning the fixed things and the bad outcome meaning breaking the thing we wanted to fix, or simply leave everything alone.

Mind you, we will have infinite amount of tries for this "gamble." So sooner or later, we'll get it right.

I guess I'm mostly for cloning then. I don't see why God would let us figure out such knowledge and then not let us use it.

Posted by Portugese Swimmingman on 2004-03-16 10:37:41

You can't genetically engineer food

You can genetically engineer animals before they become food but that messes with your food supply and risks an outbreak of some new diseases that takes out most of your food supply

========== In Reply To ========== Hmmmm.......not sure here.

I am religious but I am unsure about cloning--note that I am not against it.

I think that God blessed humanity with Science, and that we should use it to make our lives easier.

Cloning can do a great job of making our lives easier. We can genetically modify ourselves to become more immune to certain diseases. Perhaps if we can't find a cure for cancer, we can genetically alter ourselves to become more resistant, or even immune, to cancer. I personally do not see why God would not want us to do that.

With genetic engineering, we can help cure world hunger. However, we would also need to get the poor countries' governments to actually let those hungry kids get the food--not charge the food we gave them as charity so much that only the rich people can get it (thus making the hungry people still starve, despite the fact we gave'em some food). We could also genetically engineer all the "fatty and unhealthy" foods to become nutritious. I don't see why God wouldn't want us to do that, either.

Of course, there are risks involved, just like if you were driving a car. We could screw something up in our genetic code to make ourselves actually more vulnerable to a disease, or worse. We could make foods even less healthier.

It's a this-or-that situation. We can either take a gamble at fixing things in our lives, with the good outcome meaning the fixed things and the bad outcome meaning breaking the thing we wanted to fix, or simply leave everything alone.

Mind you, we will have infinite amount of tries for this "gamble." So sooner or later, we'll get it right.

I guess I'm mostly for cloning then. I don't see why God would let us figure out such knowledge and then not let us use it.