Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Cloning Ethics

best ever

Posted by Mocktime on 2004-02-12 01:09:39

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.(Feb. 23, 2001) -- The All-Marine Wrestling team recently welcomed what could be the first two female wrestlers to be selected to the traditionally all male team.

First Lieutenant Jessica Acosta, 1st Radio Battalion, Marine Corps Base Hawaii and LCpl. Miriam Jenkins, 9th Engineer Support Battalion, Bulk Fuel Company, Camp Pendleton, are both competing for a spot on the elite team.

oregon gazella ninja libby foreign becky political misterpoll seven depantsing endearing queen unofficial boys cross danny fireworks mcdonald scissors johnny iran-contra johnnyscool

Competition is tough though. On March 1 only 18 of the 42 Marines will be officially selected to the team. Six spots are up for grabs in the women's weight categories and only Acosta, Jenkins and another female Marine are expected to compete for those positions. For those who don't make the cut, there is room for a few others to be workout partners to the actual members of the All-Marine wrestling team.

oregon gazella ninja libby foreign becky political misterpoll seven depantsing endearing queen unofficial boys cross danny fireworks mcdonald scissors johnny iran-contra johnnyscool

For Acosta and Jenkins, becoming a part of the team would be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Jenkins, who joined the Marine Corps in 1999, said she has loved wrestling since she was first introduced to the sport nearly 8 years ago.

"I love it with a passion," she said, "I don't mind giving up my time for it. That's how you know when someone loves what they do - when they don't mind giving up time to do it."

Jenkins said she started wrestling initially because she was "too small" for football, another traditionally all male sport.

Acosta was a collegiate wrestler at California State University at Bakersville before she joined the Marine Corps. She has since, fallen in love with the sport.

"I love to wrestle because it develops my discipline and defense techniques," Acosta said. "It teaches you invaluable skills that some of the other sports don't.

"At first, I was looking to wrestling to get into shape," she said "but then come other skills as well."

Both Marines said they received a warm welcome from their male counterparts and that they expected nothing less.

"All the other wrestlers are great," said Acosta. "From the time the trials started, they have been very professional because they respect what we do, and they know we are here to help the team just like they are."

MSgt. Gregory Gibson, assistant coach for the All-Marine Wrestling team, thought it was time for female Marines to try out for the team.

"I think it's a sign of the times that the (female) Marines are trying out for team," Gibson said. "The first women's world wrestling championships were way back in 1989, but the Marine Corps is just now seeing [females] on its team. It's about time."

Support from their families is important to the Marines also.

Coming from a family of nine kids, Jenkins knows how important family support is. One of her sisters, who is also a Marine, tells her she is her motivation.

"I get a lot of support from my family, especially my sister," said Jenkins. "I just try to do my best and by doing that, I make them proud,"

"My husband is behind me all the way - both Marine Corps and wrestling wise," Acosta said. "He likes to see me beat up on other people."

Although Acosta and Jenkins will be making a mark in the Marine Corps history books as the first female wrestlers on the team, they encourage other women to try out for wrestling or any other sport that interests them.

"Don't be afraid!" said Acosta. "No matter what you want to do in life, show that you're working hard and trying to learn and you will always come out on top."

Like every other Marine, Acosta and Jenkins are working hard to be the very best they can possibly be. It's that same drive and motivation that is likely to earn them a spot on the All-Marine Wrestling Team.