Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Kneeling before God (Roman catholics)

Kneeling

Posted by malcham on 2011-04-02 06:26:41

At Mass we stand and sit and kneel as a congregation and therefore all do the same. There are times when I hear the Mass rather than partake and will sometimes kneel for the whole of that Mass. I think that kneeling can help you to find a sense of stillness and worship, though I know some people prefer to sit and used to know a chap who would say the Rosary while standing. At home, my son and I usually kneel to pray together and always say penitential prayers kneeling.

Posted by edouard on 2011-04-03 20:21:49

Yes, I quite agree that kneeling helps you praying with you whole body, and help you express your penance in front of God. At Mass, I would encourage kneeling for penitential prayer, for the whole Canon of Mass, and for Holy Communion.

Posted by malcham on 2011-04-09 16:34:44

We don't kneel for the penitential prayer at Mass and say it while standing (although I tend to think it would be more appropriate to kneel). For me, kneeling puts me in the right frame of mind for prayer - it's almost a physical cue for me to clear my mind and concentrate on my prayers but I appreciate that not everyone will feel the same.

Posted by edouard on 2011-04-09 19:29:01

Yes I think it is most appropriate to kneel for penance and it is a shame that at church almost nobody kneels for pénitential prayers.

If I had a 15 years old boy, I would also make him kneel in front of me when he has to apologize for a mistake and I would also make him kneel as a punishment to teach him humility.

Posted by catholicmark on 2011-07-30 15:36:10

I strongly agree Eduard.

I believe what my father and my church taught me - that kneeling is the correct expression of our submission to God (and to His Holy Church). All my prayers, in Church and at home, are said kneeling. The one exception is Grace before and after meals.