Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Does all killing count as murder?

Confused

Posted by Captain Fantastic on 2012-07-10 01:18:31

Sorry buddy, for the misunderstanding. I should have worded it better. Yeah, it's supposed to mean, "Which of these activities are considered murder?" You did do it the right way.

Posted by shaun h on 2012-07-17 16:40:17

Your poll raised some interesting questions. I did philosophy as an elective last semester and we came to the conclusion that if the subject was a sentient being in the state of life, then we should regard them as being no less than a sentient human being. But this raised the issue of people in permanent vegetative states, (such as a coma), and therefore even though they cannot register their feelings or rspond to outside stimuli, they should be treated no differently from someone who can answer and respond for themself. And the same should apply to the "higher" animals, such as apes and monkeys, as well as dolphins etc. Thus drag net fishing which causes the death of loads of dolphins each year should be outlawed, as should animal experimentation. Even though drug testing on apes is seen as normal, even this doesn't always work, (qv thalidomide in the 1960's). I look forward to your future polls.

Posted by jpb954 on 2012-07-22 19:18:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtRbggjYDI

Posted by shaun h on 2012-07-26 13:03:24

Discussing this issue with some of the guys at the gym last night, Javier came up with the following concept. What would happen if the Armed forces suddenly refused to kill any of their opponents in a war situation? Obviously, they'd all be facing a Court Martial for deliberately refusing to obey orders. I know that in the 1939-45 war the British army recognised "conscientious objectors", but they were in a minority. Hitler didn't, and neither did Stalin. But the main point raised is that a "war" is seen as justifying mass killing, but the guy in the cinema in Colorado is rightly seen as a maniac and a murderer. But what, to use the example cited by my friend, is the difference between him and George Bush? Bush thought that he was justified in causing the deaths of Iraqui citizens and military, just as most mass murderers in history have always claimed that they were justified in their actions. Makes you think, right?

Posted by Captain Fantastic on 2012-08-03 11:31:42

To: Shaun H.

Hi, there. Thanks for your input. I will think it over. About your last comment, "I look forward to your future polls."--Would you like to read something really wild? Get a future-thinker's view of the world, here:

Man vs. Machine: The New War Ahead

www.misterpoll.com/polls/559732