Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

US Constitution: 2nd Amendment--The Right to Bear Arms.

Pollmaker, look at this please...

Posted by Captain Fantastic on 2012-06-04 04:33:19

Dear Sir or Madam, Hi, there, how are you? I saw your poll on the Second Amendment rights. It was very timely and appropriate for the times today, especially in the wake of things like school shootings and child fatalities by firearms. I recently made a poll, too, about a somewhat different topic...maybe...you be the judge. It's about remembering Memorial Day, and how people choose to remember our soldiers. While it is slightly off-subject from yours, I invite you to take a look at it, anyway. (And tell your friends, too. It only has one vote, so far. Yeah, I know, it's sad. Nobody cares about the important stuff anymore.)
I want you to pay extra close attention to the last question. That alone, is related to the subject matter of your poll. I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on this matter. Here is the link: www.misterpoll.com/polls/559350 Thanks, Scott Gould

Posted by Mr. Liam on 2012-06-04 10:19:23

Dear Scott.

With the utmost respect for the sincerity of your opinion, I must disagree. It is not guns that create the problem of war and strife within this world today. The problem is found within the dark hearts and minds of humankind. Before guns, there were archers, spears and swords, and before that, the very rocks that lay upon the ground. Even in the "Harry Potter" stories, magic wands were used as weapons. You banish guns, and people will find somthing else to kill with.

I am a Vietnam Vet and I recently visited a Veitnam Veterans Memorial near Coos Bay,OR. There I saw this quote that came from graffitti written on a latrine wall in Vietnam, which read; "THERE SHALL NOT BE PEACE UNTIL THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER." In my opinion, no words have ever been said that better that which discribes a true soldier's desire for peace.

God bless you Scott, your heart's in the right place.

Me. Liam.

Posted by nudist0885 on 2012-06-09 17:37:56

I think the word "militia" can apply to ALL "municipal, city, county, state, federal, military, and monetary law enforcement agencies".

This includes all uniformed police of any agency (whether they're carrying a gun or not), as well as state AND federal park police, private security officers at banks and any member of an armored car service where any of those people (from any agency) where a uniform and a gun.

I think that on a PERSONAL LEVEL the phrase "the security of a free state" stops at the front door of your house.

Beyond that, it is the duty of a "well regulated militia" as described in the definition above.

I also believe that "people" doesn't include anyone under the age of 18.

Posted by nudist0885 on 2012-06-09 17:44:04

For me it goes like this.......

A well regulated militia (those who are paid to wear a uniform and a gun)... being necessary to the security of a free state (inside your home that's YOU...outside your home it's THEM)... the right of the people (those who are above the age of 18) to keep and bear arms (which also includes nail infested baseball bats, bows and arrows, lamps, hard sole shoes, high powered water hoses, open containers of water, milk, coffee, etc. etc. etc. anything that you can use that doesn't require killing someone)

shall not be infringed (inside your home you can use whatever you want.....outside your home you leave it to the professionals).

Posted by nudist0885 on 2012-06-09 17:54:08

Because for ME

A "WELL REGULATED" doesn't mean anybody who thinks they are following common practice and procedure. Because as wee have seen numerous times across this country there are some people who don't give a damn about "regulations".

And "BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE" doesn't mean YOUR rights ALONE wherever YOU are as much as YOUR responsibilities to SOCIETY AT LARGE as well.

Law enforcement in my opinion has 2 duties....

1) Protect you from becoming a victim of criminal behavior and action 2) Prevent you from becoming a perpetrator of criminal behavior and action.

It's not just your RIGHT to protect YOURSELF from danger and harm, but it's also YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to PREVENT YOURSELF from bringing danger and harm to others.