Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

"Sissy" pageboy/ring-bearer outfits

My experience

Posted by theboy on 2013-04-01 19:05:35

This happened in the late seventies when I had just become a teenager. I was quite happy when my aunt told me that I was going to be the pageboy at my (female) cousin's wedding. Note that I did not say "asked", my aunty was a formidable lady and when she decided on something, that was it!

Pageboys were not that common then, but the ones that I had seen were generally younger and wearing clothes similar to the groom's, but maybe with shorts. So being older I expected to wear something similar, but with long trousers of course.

So I was quite surprised when I was "summoned" to my aunts house with the brides maids for a measure-up ( my aunt was making the dresses). The bridesmaids were friends of my cousin, all in their late teens, and were excited. I on the other hand was somewhat confused as why I was there. This was explained by my aunt when I was being measured up; she was going to make me a tunic of the same matirial as the bridesmaid's dresses and showed my the satiny fabric which was a king of lilac ( it was the seventies!)

I blushed immediately and knew that the end result was going to be sissyish but knew better to argue with my aunt. I assumed it would be worn with trousers,but was soon put right when I later asked what kind of trousers would I be wearing and my aunt firmly said "you will be wearing tights, dear."

I tried arguing with my mum later, but she just said it was my aunty's decision and that I would have to discuss it with her. I was determined to do this, but at the next "fitting session" I chickened out and ended up wearing the tunic with ribbed white tights. The tunic had a round collar, long sleeves which puffed out at the end before ending in a snug cuff, and a sash belt made of the same matierial which my aunt tied in a bow at my back. The skirted part flared slightly and came down to mid-thigh. My aunt had done a good job but that was no consolation, I was going to look a right sissy!