Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

"Sissy" pageboy/ring-bearer outfits

Kilt outfit

Posted by BruceH on 2013-05-17 18:45:41

I was eight when I was told I was to be a pageboy at my cousin's wedding and that I would be wearing a kilt. This didn't bother me, I already had my own kilt, but then I was told I had to attend a fitting session with the bridesmaids. Puzzled by this, nevertheless I was taken there to find I was expected to wear a velvet tunic with a lace jabot at the neck and lace cuffs, a very short kilt (mid-thigh), white knee socks and black patent shoes with silver buckles. I protested to my Mum that the kilt was too short and could I not wear my own kilt (just above the knees length) but I was told this was what my cousin wanted and not to make a fuss (or else!)

It wasn't too bad at the actual wedding, being fussed over by all my aunties, but I wasn't so keen on being repeatedly told how cute I looked in my little kilt!

Unfortunately for me, I was dressed in the outfit for several weekends afterwards, being "shown" to several relatives who hadn't managed to get to the actual wedding and it was quite embarrassing travelling on public transport - the kilt was so short I could hardly sit on it and I felt everyone was staring at the length of bare legs visible between the top of the socks and the bottom of the kilt!