Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Shoes, socks or barefoot at home?

My rules

Posted by MsYork on 2015-11-08 15:21:30

I made rules regarding footwear for my two daughters (19 and 16), ever since we moved in to a new house with wooden and tiled floors. My daughters had to be barefoot inside the house. Their friends also had to take off their shoes and their socks when they came in. I think bare feet inside a home is healthier and cleaner and with our floors, much safer as well.

Posted by MizzouMom on 2015-11-09 20:21:36

Ha! So you were protecting your floors, and I was tired of socks getting destroyed, but it works out the same. So, do you follow the barefoot rule, too, or just the kids?

Posted by MsYork on 2015-11-10 05:47:27

Well the floors were really slippery, so it was not exactly safe wearing socks and shoes on my floors are a big no no, so bare feet only. No not just the kids I'm barefoot as well anytime at home.

Posted by jaymeister on 2015-11-10 14:09:29

I am okay with no shoes in the house. Floors get dirty very easily. This practice is becoming more and more common especially with the younger generation. I question the appropriateness of asking guests to remove their socks. What the family does is one thing but guests are another matter. I have been in houses where everyone was in sock feet and have never seen anyone slip on a floor as a result of being in sock feet.

Posted by MizzouMom on 2015-11-10 19:42:31

That makes sense, and I know that I would not set rules that did not apply to myself, as well as my girls. Like you said, I also think it is healthier and cleaner to go totally barefoot in the house. Besides, my toes love being free, and even the thought of wearing socks at home makes me cringe! ;-)