Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Men only swims

Showering at the pool

Posted by real together guy on 2014-09-09 13:23:39

No one swims or showers naked at the pool, and most are very careful getting changed. However, at the gym it is a different story. You see men, even quite young ones in various states of dress or undress, and the ones in the shower are always naked. I always shower naked after a workout, and it never occurred to me not to do it naked. I have never the shower empty when iI arrive or when I leave, so I suppose others do the same.

Alex

Posted by Luke12 on 2014-09-11 06:01:04

Hi Alex!

That's an interesting observation. I am not sure where or to which gyms you are referring. Are these school or public gyms?

It is true that group showering is practiced more readily by a team after practice or after a game, from both the dirt of the field, the sweat of a contact sport, or the more strenuous workout. You are just too dirty to put on your street clothes without a shower.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4i036bIAl1rnqbkno8_1280.jpg

At the gym, weight training or aerobics are more likely to cause someone to work up a sweat than at a pool. But do guys under high school age do much weight training or aerobic workouts?

At my college's gym that contains a pool, weight rooms, racquet ball, tennis,etc.; college guys still wear their gym clothes back to their dorms.

Thanks for relaying your observations.

Luke

Posted by real together guy on 2014-09-12 09:59:16

From ten years old I wore a hard cap for baseball. We were told to, the other boys did, and so I did, and thought no more about it. High School was like yours, A jock strap was required for pe, and checked, but the pe teacher was not allowed to paddle us.,

There were showers at school which we were told were not mandatory But we were still made to crowd under the shower heads naked, and watched to make sure we got wet. We thought it was a bit gay but that did not get us out of having to take a shower.

At the pool the hot showers in the locker room really were optional, and well used, but no one went into them naked.

The locker rooms I was referring to in my ;ast post were the ones at the gym club where my Mom works, If you go in the afternoon there are only ever a few people there.

I think it iwas at your college I would do back to the dorm to shower and change. Maybe next year?

Allex

Posted by Luke12 on 2014-09-23 05:25:54

Hi Alex!

I think to a certain extent, guys tend to follow what the majority will do. I know that when I was in college, there were days when the hot water in the dorm was out. When students complained at the front desk, we were told to shower and shave at the gym. The hot water was working there.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HRWT-5Fefr4/U1f4__HrhPI/AAAAAAAAkEs/fM0ZNrWGGD0/s1600/AS08c.JPG

As I said previously, at this college there is a sign posted which says that you must take a shower with soap before entering and exiting the pool. This Public Health statute is never enforced. However, if there was a health hazard on campus (e.g. a Hepatitis scare, a meningitis scare, or ENT-D68 virus), it is the duty of the campus to enforce the public health policies. ENT-D68 Virus (google it) is a public health problem for particularly children, because it spreads from bowel to mouth. A swimming pool would be a place where one would need to take precautions. But to many children, the naked shower would be more traumatic than the respiratory virus.

Would you be more likely to take a naked shower if an athletic director said so, or would you just not use the pool? I know everyone would decide differently, but most would follow what the majority are doing.

Luke

Posted by Alpha11 on 2014-12-20 04:40:20

When I go to a public pool and there is a big nice one less than a mile from my house I shower before and after.

I change into my swimsuit at the locker room and rinse off wearing my suit.

After swiming I take off my suit in the shower and rinse it out and then use shower gel to get the pool chemicals off my skin and out of my hair.

At school our swim coach makes us do it the other way around.