Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Tipping and Ordering in Restaurants

Tipping poll

Posted by Kenneth Erickson on 2000-08-07 23:06:57

Your poll, in which I did partake, leaves no room for the philosphy of tipping. For one to take the poll, the assumption is made that they do indeed tip. To me it's an abomination and should be completely banished. It's an insult to a person that his income will be based, not necessarily on his service, but purely on the whims of the person who is receiving the service. Let the total price of the meal and service be given upfront. Then, if you prefer, you can stay or leave.

Posted by Talula on 2002-02-21 15:06:42

========== In Reply To ==========

To me it's an abomination and should be completely banished. It's an insult to a person that his income will be based, not necessarily on his service, but purely on the whims of the person who is receiving the service.

I don't think tipping should be totally banished. I do think, though, that the wages of service people shouldn't be less than minimum wage just because they receive tips. Being a waitperson is a difficult job, and I think the tips should be a perk. I mean, even at a place like Pizza Hut, the servers get paid like $3/hr and they have to report their tips, while drivers get paid more per hour and don't have to report their tips. Not exactly fair there. Tipping should be a perk, not a main portion of one's income.