Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

School swimwear

custom in the 50's ear;ly 60's

Posted by toutant on 2003-01-28 16:19:00

I am 54 so my own experience is from about 40 yrs ago. For whatever reason-- boys in our school always swam naked. It began in 4th grade when we could use the high school pool once in a blue moonThru junior and senior high when we used the pool much more regularly- we always swam naked. I guess we just thought it was normal-- as no one ever questioned it. It was of course only boys and the coaches were male. Irealize that phy ed classes are now mixed-- and so nudity would be out of the question. Even if they were just guys-- I think people think differently about forced nudity- people today want more privacy and it should be allowed them. I can not say I minded swimming naked it was just something one did without thinking. Now as I look back on it-- I wonder why it was so? but I have no idea. Any answers?

Posted by yoomoo on 2003-03-13 14:44:39

During the 50s and 60s, I remember wearing short boxer swim trunks. I never had swim lessons or recreational swimming where anyone swam naked. It probably would not have been permitted.

I have never swam naked and would not like to.

========== In Reply To ========== I am 54 so my own experience is from about 40 yrs ago. For whatever reason-- boys in our school always swam naked. It began in 4th grade when we could use the high school pool once in a blue moonThru junior and senior high when we used the pool much more regularly- we always swam naked. I guess we just thought it was normal-- as no one ever questioned it. It was of course only boys and the coaches were male. Irealize that phy ed classes are now mixed-- and so nudity would be out of the question. Even if they were just guys-- I think people think differently about forced nudity- people today want more privacy and it should be allowed them. I can not say I minded swimming naked it was just something one did without thinking. Now as I look back on it-- I wonder why it was so? but I have no idea. Any answers?

Posted by dippinskinny on 2006-03-27 03:16:00

While i do not have any answers, I do wish times were such that nudity for swimming was the norm.