Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Back To The Future?

DEPO PROVERA- a good drug for SOME

Posted by Dr Joanne Kilian on 1999-05-18 13:37:12

I am angry because I emailed this site with my story and it has not been published. I had a good experience with Depo Provera, I filled in your survey and my story WAS NOT published. Since I am a doctor, I am making sure that all my patients know that you are selective with what you publish, hence very VERY misleading to women who would suit this form of contraception. I will also notify my collegues of the EXTREME limitations of this sight. I am very disatissfied with your web site and escpecially your service - why was my article snubbed? Answer: because you discriminate against this drug, because YOUR experience was bad. Don't you think this is slightly selfish? May god punish you. You are dishonest, pretending to educate and 'help' others, when all you do is put fear into those who don't need it. By all means comment on your experinece but recognise that it can WORK for many women. Stop being selfish and help not intimidate and publish what you are given so half the population don't commit suicide from fear of stories that you have published. I am very unimpressed and very concerned for your morality and decency.

Posted by becky on 1999-06-02 09:15:07

I'm glad that there are some doctors out there that care about their patients and I'm sorry if your message was snubbed. Not all doctors are the same - I fell out with my doctor and consultant over depo misiformation in a big way - like when a good friend of mine (also a doctor) found an article linking the mild epilepsy I'd been diagnosed with just 4 months after first taking depo with depo jabs - yet my doctor told me that it was obviously rubbish, wouldn't discuss it and told me to be a good girl and keep taking depo 'cos "contraception is far too important" I just walked out and accepted that I wouldn't be taking any more. Almost a year later - still no period but I've also come off the medication for the epilepsy successfully - from having anything up to 20 absence seizures a day between taking depo and taking epilim. I'm sorry you've been snubbed - most doctors I've known around here at least appear to have ended up indifferent to anything and I'm not convinced they'd try to learn anything else. My friend tells me that this is just the way the system makes you - and the reason why she's given up being a practicing GP. ========== In Reply To ========== I am angry because I emailed this site with my story and it has not been published. I had a good experience with Depo Provera, I filled in your survey and my story WAS NOT published. Since I am a doctor, I am making sure that all my patients know that you are selective with what you publish, hence very VERY misleading to women who would suit this form of contraception. I will also notify my collegues of the EXTREME limitations of this sight. I am very disatissfied with your web site and escpecially your service - why was my article snubbed? Answer: because you discriminate against this drug, because YOUR experience was bad. Don't you think this is slightly selfish? May god punish you. You are dishonest, pretending to educate and 'help' others, when all you do is put fear into those who don't need it. By all means comment on your experinece but recognise that it can WORK for many women. Stop being selfish and help not intimidate and publish what you are given so half the population don't commit suicide from fear of stories that you have published. I am very unimpressed and very concerned for your morality and decency.

Posted by Colin Campbell on 1999-06-05 04:57:34

Dear Joanne,

1) I keep a copy of each and every survey return.

2) There is no record of a "Joanne" (or any derivatives of it) from oz that I can find.

3) The only vaguely similar story is one following a similar writing style to you. The name and email address is different to the one given in your Mr Poll quote. I received it at 18:15 GMT on 8th April and it was published. As the author elected to remain anonymous, you will need to search for some of the text: try "then how did it pass current health and safety restrictions by government?"

4) If you were so dissatisfied with our service, why did you not email us directly about it, rather than trying to libel us on this open bulletin board?

In the past, we have had a small number of similar complaints, all of which have been answered.

Firstly, many stories that come in we are not allowed to publish (there is an option on the form to do this).

Secondly, a fair few of the "good" Depo returns simply do not have stories to publish.

Thirdly, there do not seem to be vast amounts of good Depo experiences to report on. This is reflected in the statistics (viz. the Satisfaction analysis).

If I may, I would like to reiterate that we DO publish all stories that we are allowed to. The purpose of the site is to provide help and support to people, not to frighten people, and definitely not to conduct some campaign based on ignorance. I do not take kindly to suggestions and libellous letters otherwise.

Kind regards,

-- Colin (Site Administrator)

========== In Reply To ========== I am angry because I emailed this site with my story and it has not been published. I had a good experience with Depo Provera, I filled in your survey and my story WAS NOT published. Since I am a doctor, I am making sure that all my patients know that you are selective with what you publish, hence very VERY misleading to women who would suit this form of contraception. I will also notify my collegues of the EXTREME limitations of this sight. I am very disatissfied with your web site and escpecially your service - why was my article snubbed? Answer: because you discriminate against this drug, because YOUR experience was bad. Don't you think this is slightly selfish? May god punish you. You are dishonest, pretending to educate and 'help' others, when all you do is put fear into those who don't need it. By all means comment on your experinece but recognise that it can WORK for many women. Stop being selfish and help not intimidate and publish what you are given so half the population don't commit suicide from fear of stories that you have published. I am very unimpressed and very concerned for your morality and decency.

Posted by Colin Campbell on 1999-06-05 04:59:26

Her message was not snubbed. Please see my reply to her. I also doubt that she is who she says she is.

========== In Reply To ========== I'm glad that there are some doctors out there that care about their patients and I'm sorry if your message was snubbed.

Posted by Shelly on 2000-10-19 00:17:58

========== In Reply To ========== I am angry because I emailed this site with my story and it has not been published. I had a good experience with Depo Provera, I filled in your survey and my story WAS NOT published. Since I am a doctor, I am making sure that all my patients know that you are selective with what you publish, hence very VERY misleading to women who would suit this form of contraception. I will also notify my collegues of the EXTREME limitations of this sight. I am very disatissfied with your web site and escpecially your service - why was my article snubbed? Answer: because you discriminate against this drug, because YOUR experience was bad. Don't you think this is slightly selfish? May god punish you. You are dishonest, pretending to educate and 'help' others, when all you do is put fear into those who don't need it. By all means comment on your experinece but recognise that it can WORK for many women. Stop being selfish and help not intimidate and publish what you are given so half the population don't commit suicide from fear of stories that you have published. I am very unimpressed and very concerned for your morality and decency.

Since your are a doctor prescribing this drug, why don't you respond to the cases that appear? I would be grateful to you if you could tell me how I can get rid of the horrible side effects from this drug. My doctors and even Upjohn can't answer that. I understand that many people have responded well to this drug, but for those of us who haven't, it has had a terrible impact on our lives. I commend you for your obvious dedication. You are clearly a caring person. If you are interested in defending depo, PLEASE help those of us with problems associated with it.