Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Back To The Future?

Good, Bad and Ugly

Posted by Karen Johnson on 2002-01-17 04:15:53

As with anything - there are pros and cons with the Depo shot. My pros have been absolutely no periods and no pregnancies. My cons have been a moderate weight gain and a complete lack of interest in sex. I've also had an increase in headaches and a few other minor health problems - but I don't know for sure that Depo is responsible. Sexual side effects are not discussed in any of the literature I reviewed, but I was not surprised to learn that the Depo was originally tested on male sexual predators - specifically, it was used to inhibit sexual desire in these predators. I am going off of Depo because my husband feels completely neglected - this side effect does not do good things for a marriage!

Posted by dana on 2002-02-18 02:38:47

========== In Reply To ========== As with anything - there are pros and cons with the Depo shot. My pros have been absolutely no periods and no pregnancies. My cons have been a moderate weight gain and a complete lack of interest in sex. I've also had an increase in headaches and a few other minor health problems - but I don't know for sure that Depo is responsible. Sexual side effects are not discussed in any of the literature I reviewed, but I was not surprised to learn that the Depo was originally tested on male sexual predators - specifically, it was used to inhibit sexual desire in these predators. I am going off of Depo because my husband feels completely neglected - this side effect does not do good things for a marriage!

I also thought that depo was the greatest thing in the world! The main reason, no periods! I have always had problems with my period and the clinic suggested that I try this shot. What they did not tell me is that once I decided to go off of the shot because of the side effects that I would have my horomone levels completely messed up. Once I finally started my period again, I could not get rid of it for months (about 6). I just advise everyone thinking of using the shot to consider the pros and cons and don't think, "that could not happen to me", cause more times then not, they probably will.