Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Bladder Capacity

guys bladders vs. girls bladders

Posted by Joe1447 on 2006-09-06 19:40:11

Here's a few facts.

According to studies conducted by urologists, guys tend to have larger, stronger sphincter muscles, which means they can hold more for longer.

The actual size of the bladder varies from person to person, so some girls have larger bladders than guys, and some guys have larger bladders than girls.

The girls, however, have less space for their bladders to expand because they've got a uterus basically sitting on top of the bladder, making it harder to hold it.

And so, I've found that guys can hold it in longer than girls. It's not surprising to me, though-every day I see like 3 or 4 guys in the bathroom, but there are lots of girls lined up to use the toilets. (not just going to put on make-up or whatever, a lot of them obviously need to pee)

Posted by Heather S. on 2006-09-09 18:14:15

There was a duplicate poll like this a couple of years back and it didn't take long for the results to be skewed by pranksters.

The size of ones' bladder depends on a number of factors such as genetics, muscle control, overall body size and the luck of the draw. Small or enormous bladders are in either sex, though I personally believe we women have larger bladders due to our wider pelvic girdles. I've alsways had an extremely large bladder but when I was pregnant with my daughter last year it seemed to grow an additional size or two with my pregnancy. When I went in for the MRI the female technician even called her two associates in to see the images on the screen, and remarked about my unusually large bladder. At the hospital I voided 1430ml and I was so numbed by pain killers I didn't even feel that full!

We'll see if this poll is any more accurate than the other ones. If you want some inspiration, Google up some medical studies on abnormally oversized bladders. I found one dated April 2005 in which a 59 year-old male had a 5 (that is correct, five) liter bladder capacity before undergoing bladder reduction surgery. Another one in a Scandinavean journal had a twenty-seven year old female patient with a demonstrated bladder capacity of similiar enormity. Obviously, these are anomalies.

The average bladder is in the 500-600ml range.

Posted by Joe1447 on 2006-09-09 23:59:40

I have no doubt that some people are lying or just plain guessing when they take this poll.

However, the facts remain. I have looked up a few medical studies and found out that urologists can actually measure squeezing force of the sphincter muscles. The results have shown that males typically have larger, stronger muscles than females. This means they can hold it under greater pressure, and therefore to greater volumes.

Posted by KELLYCAT on 2006-09-22 20:45:07

WOMAN NATURALLY HAVE LARGER BLADDER CAPACITY

The reason is that women have a larger bladder is due to a larger pelvic area. The reason why women often pee more then men is their difficulity to pee outside. In an emergency a man can always pee behind a bush etc. Also a change of a pad etc. is always more important then a pee.

The reason why men have more bladder pressure then women is simply their longer and narrower urethra. A female urethra is much shorter and wider then a male. As a result women can normally pee faster and further then a man.

So the smaller baldder concept is that simply many women feeling afraid that they are in need of a rest room because of their lack of ability to pee outside, or to change a pad.

Truth is that in a real bladder contest which could not be held(because a man would have an erection), the woman would win hands down in both capacity and distance. Not to mention later years of the enlarging prostrate

Posted by MPC2871162793 on 2006-11-27 03:45:03

It is not true that women naturally have larger bladders than men. In fact, just the opposite is true. Because women have more internal organs packed into the pelvic area, their is less room for a urinary bladder. This means less room for the bladder to expand, and more trips to the ladies' room. Also, men have sphincter muscles coiled around their urethras, while women have them on the sides only, allowing men greater control over their need to pee. 90% of bladder and other urinary problems are female, and many women lose their ability to hold it long following childbirth. It is also highly unlikely that a women would be able to hold much during the later months of pregnancy, as she would have a uterus constantly pressing on her bladder. At this point, women can rarely hold more than 250 mL of urine, and sometimes need to pee every 10 to 15 minutes.