Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

School or College Plays - revealing performances

School Vs. College

Posted by aaron69 on 2020-01-20 23:18:51

In my experience, it's alot easier to get away with revealing performances in college than high school or community theater for young people. When I was in school, the administration kept a really close eye on the school plays for anything "controversial" or "age-innappropriate." My college is totally the opposite, we can put on plays with controversial subjects and stage them with nudity (assuming the actor in question is willing). Last semester we did "Spring Awakening." I played Melchior and was fully nude during the hayloft scene. Now I'm working on a script for a romantic comedy set in a naturist campground - my goal is to stage it with the entire cast nude.

Posted by amberlewis on 2020-04-05 02:13:37

I agree that there's a lot of hassle with freedom of expression laws and parental permission but sometimes high school plays can include relevant non-sexual nudity. I was in a play in school last year and one of the scenes was in a girl's bedroom, chatting to a friend whilst getting changed to go to bed. Instead of dimming the lights or implying a change of clothes, they let me get changed on stage. I was in my undies and took my knickers off and put some pyjama shorts on. Then I took my bra off and put a night camisole on. I was chatting the whole time and was facing the audience, so they saw my vagina and boobs, just not at the same time. After the sleepover, the next scene was the following morning and when I got out of bed, I took my camisole and shorts off so I was briefly nude on stage before putting my knickers, bra, jeans and t-shirt on. It seemed quite natural and life like and was received well by the audience of friends and family.

Posted by EdunRevol on 2020-07-01 16:11:41

Amberlewis - That's a wonderful way to show nudity during a play. I'm curious how much time you spent in those pajamas? What would have happened if you had decided that the character slept in the nude? Would you have been able to spend that much time undressed on stage?

Posted by Jill14 on 2021-01-12 05:35:15

It is definitely easier to do nude in college, which is why I think it should be pushed. We should try and make it easier for high schooler experiencing sexuality and learning their body. Since middle school is puberty that is when a lot should happen to!

My school is beginning to do more nude performance and I am excited for the change. Hopefully more happens

Posted by meg2001 on 2021-01-19 18:24:18

For me, doing mature plays in high school helped me be ready to do the more revealing stuff I'm doing at university. Now in University we are doing really extreme stuff and if I hadn't done some mild nudity and sexuality in high school I wouldn't have even known that I would like it. But the performances in high school were such a rush and turn on for me that I sought it out when I got to uni. And now I spend like 3 hours a day during rehearsals edging on the verge of an orgasm and it's the best.