Welcome! Sign in to access your account. New user?

Choose my pjs

Discussion

Posted by carg85 on 2015-02-10 21:08:01

In the end your parents have all the power, and they have the final word in what your wear at night (as long as there is no abuse or anything else illegal), at least until you're 18, but after that they can still say that you have to abide by their rules as long as you live in their house. So in fighting their decisions you have no leverage, no way to force them to change their minds. So any chance you have lies in finding arguments that they might agree with, like that footed pajamas would be too warm for summer. And since being angry about it will probably only confirm their idea that you're not yet that mature, your best chance is to have calm conversations about it, explain what bothers most, and perhaps there are some things they can do to make it a little bit better for you. Have you asked them for instance why your pajamas need to be footed? The standard ones from inpetto are not. And you might also ask what it would take for them to let you wear front zip or even 2-piece pajama's more often. Perhaps they will commit to an age or a period of good behavior. With the goodnites I don't see many possibilities - they have their calendar and will probably stick with it, and since you have no control over when you wet, there seems little chance to change that. (I do wonder that if in a few years you start living on your own while still having accidents, whether you'd choose to wear protection at night anyway: I know I would quickly get tired of waking in a wet and smelly bed and having to change and wash the sheets all the time, let alone if the smell and stains would permeate the mattress...) For pj days and overnight trips you will just have to talk to your parents. Perhaps it would help to prepare a proposal in advance that would make it bearable for you but your parents might still agree to.

In the end accepting the situation will be easiest on both yourself and your parents; perhaps you can try to find some positives about the situation, like being safe and warm at night, always waking up in a dry bed, at least having Hello Kitty pajamas,... I know it is not what you want to hear, but like I said, fighting it won't do any good. And actually there are worse types of parent than over-protective ones.

Accidents in the evening? Do they happen because you can't get to the bathroom and undressed quickly enough, or because you don't want to ask for help, or are you totally unaware when they happen? That might lend some extra weight to the argument of my previous post that the pajamas might trigger the wetting.

Locking pajama's with a front zipper? So that they would only lock you in when you go to bed? Well, if you think that would be an improvement, I can give you some links. But the problem with such pajamas is that I mostly know of 2 area's where they can be found: In psychiatry for patients who tend to tear their clothes or undress and start mucking with the contents of their diapers. Those suits are expensive, might not be that comfortable, and will not look very fashionable. See for instance http://www.maree-medical.com/index.php?item=anti-tear-jumpsuit-4741&action=article&aid=621&lang=EN. And those often have the zipper at the back anyhow. Likewise for dementia patients who tend to take off their clothes. The second area is catering to adults who like to play baby ('adult babies'); some of those like to be made helpless, for instance by having their clothes locked on so they are forced to use their diapers. The picture in a previous pest is from such a site: http://baby-pants.com/jammies.php. There are a few more sites where you might order them, but these are usually made as childish as possible, and my guess is you might not like pajamas with rubber ducklings and such. There is one other alternative: those locking zipper pulls are made by zipper company YKK, and you can buy them separately. You can then replace the pull on existing pajamas with the locking one. (Works for most plastic coil zippers.) But they are not easy to find, and replacing an existing zipper pull is a delicate job.

Posted by KitsuneAngel1 on 2015-02-17 22:07:42

I had a long talk with my parents about this a few days ago and asked them some of this stuff. My mom said I have to wear footies because it's cold right now and our thermostat automatically turns the heat down at night. They said that they might buy me two piece footies for special occasions if I do well in school this quarter, but for summer they are leaning towards getting summer weight footless jammies from inpetto. I didn't ask them about school stuff though because a lot of people in the poll said that they would have their kid wear what they wear normally, which in my case would be my back zipper pjs. Idk what I would do if I had to wear them on pajama day. What do you think would be a good compromise for school activities? And if I end up having to wear them, how could I do it in the least embarrassing way possible? (for pj day, which is coming up, and an overnight trip, because there are some clubs I kinda want to join)

I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if I'm still wetting in college. And I know I don't have it that bad, I just wish there was something I could do about it.

It's kinda all three. Sometimes I'm stubborn and don't want to ask and other times I just don't realize until it gets really urgent. It happens when I fall asleep during movies a lot too.

I talked with my parents about front-zippered locking pjs too. They were surprised but said it would be ok with them if I wanted to do it. I think it would be better than back zip pjs if I never had to wear them outside of the house or around people other than my parents, because at least then I could take them off all by myself before bedtime. It would be really embarassing if someone else were to see me in them tho. A lot of parents in the poll said they make locking pjs for teens, so I'm sure my parents can find them somewhere. If not my mom is pretty good at sewing so she might be able to convert a pair of normal pjs. No way I'm wearing those mental patient or gross big baby pjs though.

Posted by carg85 on 2015-02-20 15:58:11

Was this the first time you had such a 'mature' talk with them about this? How did you like it - did you feel they took you more seriously if you stayed calm and respected their opinions too? Do you feel like you achieved anything? 2-piece pajama's sound like an improvement.
As one who's school period is pretty long ago, I'm not sure I'd be the best person to advice you on how to talk to your class mates about it. I did list a few arguments in an earlier post on how you could explain a back zipper; perhaps those could be useful. But perhaps you're getting ahead of yourself here and will your parents be more considerate about your reputation at school.
Have you considered what you would want to do on overnight trips? You probably wouldn't want to wear goodnites, but perhaps it is worse if you had an accident and others noticed? I assume for pj day that would not be an issue - unless you fall asleep during class like when watching a movie at night ;-)

When you mentioned locking pajama's, my first reaction was surprise as well, because at first it sounds worse: then not only you couldn't take them off, but also nobody else apart from the one with the key. But then I realized in your case you wouldn't want anyone else to help you out of them anyhow, since that would show your goodnites, so in your case it might indeed be better.
Onesies can easily be made lockable by adding D rings on both sides of the top of the zipper. Put a padlock though them, and you can't take it off anymore. It would be even safer if the zipper pull has an opening that the padlock hasp can go through, because then you can't lower the zipper anymore. Otherwise you might still reach the goodnites.

If you want, it might even be possible to put the rings on the inside, so that they are not visible. But then the padlock will be on the inside too, which might be less comfortable. Perhaps a padlock with a plastic cover would help making it less cold and prevent scratching. And they come in fun colors.

Posted by KitsuneAngel1 on 2015-03-22 18:52:18

Hi,

Well it's more than that now because I was sick with mono last week. I pretty much stayed in bed or on the couch most of the week, I don't think I wore anything but pjs for like four whole days I was so tired. I didn't even change clothes when we went to the doctor lol. (the doctor knows about my bedwetting issues and I was too tired to care.) My parents let the calendar slide while I was sick but I've been wet every morning since. :\

Do you think it's because I wore goodnites day in and day out for so long? Cuz there were a couple of days that I felt too sick to change out of my back-zip jammies during the day and sometimes instead of finding my mom to unzip me before I ended up wetting I would just have her bring me a fresh goodnite to wear.

Yup my pj drawer is onesies-only for now. I have to wear the back zipper pjs on school nights but my parents let me choose which ones I want to wear on weekends. I don't put them on backwards though, they are made with the zipper in the back and the footies facing forward, and there's a little button thing that goes over the zipper which is basically impossible to undo unless you are facing it. I can ask my parents to unzip me for the bathroom though, and you said exactly what my parents told me. Why not?

I would rather wake up wet a couple times a week than wear what are basically diapers all week long. -_- It's super embarrassing too, what if someone at school found out that I wear goodnites and that I have to wear back zipper pajamas so I don't take them off and soak the bed? Everyone would make fun of me. I can't go to sleepovers. All I want is to wear pj pants like everyone else does, no goodnites.

Well PJ day is next week monday and then next thursday is generation day, where each class dresses up like a certain generation. My class is supposed to be babies/toddlers and we get extra credit for dressing up for each spirit day. Idk if I want to go all out for baby day, do you think just wearing a onesie and having a pacifier would be enough? Anyway, I asked my parents and they said that they are fine with any pajamas I end up picking for pajama day, but in return I'm not supposed complain about having to wear back-zip pajamas and goodnites when I'm on an overnight trip or having to wear goodnites on long bus rides if there isn't a bathroom on the bus. And while I do sometimes fall asleep in class, I've never woken up wet there. :P

My parent's would definitely not be okay with anything that lets me access my goodnites, and a lock on the inside sounds pretttty uncomfortable. What about using a locking zipper puller?

Posted by carg85 on 2015-03-28 07:23:08

I'm sorry to hear you came down with mono. I had it when I was about 10, and from what I recall it took months before I could do everything again, like swimming. The only upside might be that it might give you an excuse for some things you'd prefer not to do ;-) Some posts ago you asked what fatigue was - now you have experienced. I think my tiredness is not as bad as the first period of mono, but the feeling of not wanting to get off the couch is something I experience most evenings.

Your increased wetting might only be because you're ill: whenever you're ill or stressed or tired, your weak areas are affected most. Like for someone with a bad back it might act up again in such situations. So your wetting might very well go back to normal when you've recovered, but I can't rule out that your body is also getting used to letting go more easily. I'm no doctor, so perhaps yours could advice you better on this subject, but since they didn't find a good explanation on why it happens, he might not be able to give definite answers either. But even if it would persist after you recovered from the mono, I wouldn't be surprised if you could train your body to go back to your previous amount of wetting. So, no guarantees unfortunately, but reason to despair either.

"and you said exactly what my parents told me. Why not?"
I'm sorry, I'm saying so much that I'm not sure what you are referring to here.

Yes, I can imagine it would be better to avoid sleepovers and overnight school trips. Kids and teenagers can be rather cruel when they find out. But I believe you can influence on how long you would be made fun of by how you react to it. If you can make them realize that this is out of your control, just as much as a person with bad eyes needs glasses, and can point out a physical limitation of the person teasing each time, it will probably soon taper off to a bearable level. But let's hope it will never come to that. And don't forget, you are not the only one by far who's bladder is not always cooperating, and there might even be others in your class with the same problem (who are just as scared of others finding out).

Where I live we don't have pajama or generation days, or at least not when I was in school, so I have no idea what would be enough. But I think you should not wear something that makes you feel worried all the time. So if you think you can pull off wearing diapers and back-zip footed PJs in the spirit of the day, that would be great, and it might even be good for you to feel accepted for it, even if only for that day. But if you keep on worrying that people might suspect you need it, or start asking where you got your pajamas, and you don't want to make up a lie about it (e.g. borrowed from a cousin), you'd be better off wearing your front-zip onesie without feet.

I do think a locking zipper puller would be most comfortable, if you (or your mother) can get your hands on one. But I think a small padlock at the throat would not be that noticeable, especially when in bed. (With jumping up-and-down it would probably bounce uncomfortably though.) I've worn a small padlock on a back zipper for fun/play once or twice, and I was actually surprised on how little I felt of it, even when lying on my back.
On the inside might be slightly more uncomfortable, so you would only choose that if you want it to be invisible - when wearing such pajama's on pajama day you might not want to explain what those D-rings are for if they are visible - but perhaps with a ribbon through them in a bow you might prevent questions. Again probably it depends how confident you can feel about it, whether you can pull that off.